Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Orientation


After a harrowing experience flying into and out of New York City to get my visa (the flights that should have been on time were cancelled or delayed and the one that should have been late was early), I made it to Washington DC. And then I was given a topnotch hotel room on the top floor with a view of the city, three fancy meals a day, and a free shuttle. I must say, it’s about time that teachers get pampered once in a while. The Fulbright even paid for an extra night’s stay at the hotel, because my flight was booked for Saturday. For once, I find myself praising the federal government.

The orientation went very well. I attended numerous workshops meant to prepare me for living and teaching in India, and, best of all, I finally met my exchange teacher. What a woman! Warm, sensitive, strong-willed, perceptive, and funny. I think she’ll do very well at RHS, and I have a feeling that the students will love and respect her. I’m sure there will be the student who will take advantage of the situation—“I wouldn’t have failed if I could only understand her!” But I found her accent very understandable, so I don’t think these students will have much of a leg to stand on.

Teachers were asked to prepare a presentation of their culture for the last night of the orientation. Our Indian teachers performed an intricate dance and then invited their American counterparts on-stage. Each Indian teacher then dusted a dot of red powder onto each of our foreheads in a form of blessing. Fatima was a little overeager with the powder and ended up dusting my nose as well, so I figure I was doubly blessed. I tried to attach a photo of Fatima and me shortly after the ceremony, but I'm having a little trouble. The computer here is set to German, and I'm not quite sure why it's not working. I'll have to work on that. So stay tuned

All-in-all the orientation made me anxious to arrive in India. Our Indian group was quite a clique during orientation, and we were easily recognizable by our friends’ gorgeous fabrics. I got quite a few comments from other Fulbrighters about what an amazing experience I’m going to have; after sitting with my clan during lunch, one woman actually expressed her disappointment that she was going to England. It was hard to say good-bye to the Indian teachers, because they were each such beautiful and unique people. But I kept reminding myself that they are just the tip of the iceberg. Onward to India!

Oh boy, I hope "vorschau" means "post"!

2 comments:

Chuck Piotrowski said...

Go Erin! Wallingford sends its best wishes!
Chuck

Jean Squires said...

When do you leave?!
From the Wallingford neighborhood in Seattle. I second the best wishes.
Jean