Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Bargain, Baby, Bargain


So I’m totally going to steal a good idea from my pal Patrick and attempt to capture the bargaining process. I first met with this system in Thailand, and although I was initially quite uncomfortable with it, I’ve now grown to enjoy it. It’s really a great method to make you more of a self-advocate (or maybe just pushy). For better or worse, that’s one aspect of myself that’s really developed—my ability to take a hard line and make demands.

So let’s say I’m strolling through a bazaar, and a man comes up offering me a coral necklace. Our interaction would go something like this:

Seller: Coral necklace! Very beautiful.
Erin: Uh, I don’t know. . . (as I take a sideways glance at it)
Seller: For you, good price.
Erin: (if I’m interested) I don’t really like it.
Seller: Very beautiful on you. (he holds it up, tries to put it into my hands)
Erin: I don’t know. It is ugly. (I scowl)
Seller: Good for you! Very cheap.
Erin: How much do you want? (skeptical)
Seller: 450 rupees only!
Erin: Too much, too much! (I put my hand up, and walk away)
Seller: (he runs after) Make a price!
Erin: (if I want it) I do not like it. 50 rupees!
Seller: Not possible! 300 rupees.
Erin: No way, dude. I am poor teacher.
Seller: OK, no business today, so 300 rupees, very cheap.
Erin: I live here. Give me Indian price. (blank-faced)
Seller: Coral for you. 250 rupees, last price.
Erin: Too expensive. Good-bye. (I walk)
Seller: One more price. Name price.
Erin: 80 rupees only.
Seller: Impossible! (I continue walking)

At this point the seller either gets fed up with me because I’m seriously low-balling him, or he follows after.

Seller: OK. Your price, your price!

And I win!

2 comments:

laura said...

When I first went to China, I found the bargaining process really hard (I guess because as Americans we're so friendly and polite instinctively). Especially the whole "that ugly thing you're hawking is way overpriced! the guy over there has it for half!" thing, especially if I'm lying and it's actually beautiful and I really want it. But by the time I got to Thailand I was over it, thankfully.

Way to leverage being a local, by the way!

Ian said...

Knock to that -- I don't know how many items I overpaid for before I figured out that you have to pretend you don't like something. Interestingly, I found the bargaining system in Turkey to be a little less ruthless than in Thailand. You can't do the "I'm leaving your stall now" move, which is the most enjoyable!